Sitting Down with young Melbourne Blogger and Interior Designer Chris Carroll
Chris Carroll is a Melbourne transplant originally from Sydney, and along the way he brought with him a love for all things interior design. Chris started out blogging, which was a natural fit based on his love and passion for design, as well as his background in journalism and copywriting. He poured everything into his blog, but during that time realized how much he’d also like to start working with clients.
Chris started studying interior design around the same time as he started his popular blog, and he found his stride upon moving to Melbourne. Much like his blog, Chris centres his design style on affordability, accessibility and a style that’s effortless and fun. He felt like he saw a gap existed in the design world in these areas, which is a big part of what inspires his work both online and with his clients.
Chris also found that many of his clients were seeking out Hamptons and Coastal-inspired aesthetics, so much of his work focuses on those concepts. We had the opportunity to talk with Chris and learn a bit more about his work, his influences and what he loves both professionally and personally.
1. When did you first decide to become an interior designer and how did you get started with your design business?
2. What inspired you to start blogging?
3. Is there an interior design style you favour and do you have your own design aesthetic?
4. Who are other interior designers you admire?
5. What inspires you?
6. What do you love most about blogging?
7. What do you think is the essential piece of furniture we should all have in our bedroom?
8. What key element do we all need for a chic living room?
For a living room to feel chic it all comes down to material choices. When I think of sophistication it's all about materials like marble, velvet, organic linens. Oh, and a beautiful thick rug - ideally with a bold pattern on it.
How active are you on a weekly basis? How often do you communicate with your followers?
Oh, every day! You gotta be in this day and age. I post about three or four blog posts a week, but am on Instagram and Facebook a few times a day talking to readers. I also have a closed Facebook group where the VIP members mingle and I help them out with their decorating choices. It's good fun!
If you keep an eye out,you’re very likely to see more of Chris Carroll. For example, he hosts various home tours on the Metricon Homes YouTube channel, as well as designer interviews. Chris maintains an active social media presence, and continues building his blog as well as working with his clients. Chris is an excellent reminder that not all gorgeous interiors have to be extraordinarily expensive or out-of-reach for the majority of people.
Let's get personal .....
1. What else are you passionate about besides your work? I wish there was something else outside of work. Interiors consume my every waking moment.
2. What is your most treasured belonging? My two cats. Even when they do scratch at my bedroom door at 6am!
3. What's one thing people may not know about you? I spend more time working in my pyjamas than I'd care to admit ;)
4. In 10 years I'd like to be ... A few more employees on-board for the design side of the business, and ideally me on TV hosting a show about affordable room makeovers.
5. What can't you live without? My phone, which is sad, but so much of my business is dependant on being on that little device 24/7!